Saturday, March 28, 2009

More from Bruce

Hi all,

I woke up this morning feeling much better. I slept for about 10 hours straight, which for me is an eternity. I think I’m already making the time zone adjustment which always seems to be easier for me to make when I’m traveling west. Because Nepal is 12 hours different from Logan, if people want to know what time it is here they just have to change Logan time from am to pm or pm to am as the case may be.

While I was sitting in the airport in Bangkok waiting to board my flight to Kathmandu I noticed Ed Viesturs walk in and sit a few rows away. It’s kind of funny because I was reading the Outside magazine that has his photo on the cover. For anyone who doesn’t know, Ed Viesturs is the first American to climb all fourteen of the world’s 8000 meter peaks. In the climbing world he is considered a god. I was tempted to go ask him to sign the cover of my magazine but decided it would be pretty corny. Apparently he has put a small Everest expedition together to promote the new line of outdoor clothing he and Dave Hahn and Peter Whittaker are launching. Dave Hahn is who I climbed Mt. Vinson with in Antarctica and who holds the record for number of ascents of Everest by a non-sherpa. I believe his total is ten so far. Peter Whittaker is the nephew of Jim Whittaker, who was the first American to climb Everest.








Ed Viesturs



A few of our team members have arrived in Kathmandu along with all of our guides. Russell is also here and it was good to visit with him. The rest of the team will trickle in during the next couple of days. It’s always a struggle for me to learn everyone’s name but so far so good. I met Dick Colthurst, who is the person in charge of the filming that Tigress Productions will be doing this year for the Discovery Channel. Because of budget cuts they only have three cameramen working this year as opposed to nearly a dozen in years past. They are not only filming our group of 28 but also Erik Simonson’s group that is nearly that big. With that many people I don’t expect to see much camera time. I guess we’ll see, but I have to confess that I really don’t mind. That’s about all for now. I think I’ll spend the rest of the day playing tourist here in Kathmandu and getting my gear organized.

Love to you all,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment